Pop Focus: The Absent-Minded Professor

Here's a trove of promo stills from the 1961 Disney/Fred MacMurray vehicle, "The Absent-Minded Professor."

It's a film that still holds up quite well, I think. I know my kids enjoyed it quite a bit when we went on a family jag through Disney's 1950s and 1960s live-action flicks a few years back.

The movie spawned a sequel, "Son of Flubber," named after the "flying rubber" substance MacMurray's character Professor Brainard discovers in this first film.

"The Absent-Minded Professor" can also be seen as the first of Disney's Medfield/Midvale comedies including "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes," "The Strongest Man in the World," "The Misadventures of Merlin Jones," and "The Monkey's Uncle," all of which were set in small college towns and carried the theme of science gone humorously awry.





















1 comment:

  1. I would have been two years old when this was released but one of my earliest memories is sitting in a dark theater on my mother's lap watching that car fly!

    ReplyDelete