Pop Culture Roundup: Adam West! Al Feldstein! Steve Ditko! Dick Ayers! Bill Finger! Brian Eno! Monty Python! Weird LPs!

The original TV Batman, Adam West, pens a column for the Hollywood Reporter about his days on the cult series. His "3 Bs" could very well be the theme of this blog most days...
As a kid on a farm near Walla Walla, Wash., I played Batman. You may have done the same. Little did I know that, 30 years later, I would be labeled the "Billion Dollar Batman" -- the one who kicked off the entire modern franchise. And that, in the '60s, there would be the three Bs: Bond, Batman and The Beatles.
-----
Diversions of the Groovy Kind digs some 1970s Hulk splash pages illustrated by Happy Herb Trimpe!


-----

Not only did he edit Mad for decades, the late Al Feldstein also served as a model for many of the magazine's parody ads.

-----

See all 20 pages of Steve Ditko's original art for Amazing Spider-Man #20!

-----

Comics artists and inker Dick Ayer, vital to putting the finishing touch on countless Marvel Comics of the 1960s and 70s, passed away earlier this week at age 90. Comics historians Craig Yoe and Steve Thompson provide a nice remembrance here.

-----

Athena Finger, granddaughter of Batman co-creator (with artist Bob Kane) Bill Finger, said DC Comics still isn't giving her grandfather the credit he deserves.
75 years of Batman! No one could have predicted the longevity and the continued relevance of this comic book hero that has become a cultural icon when my grandfather, Bill Finger, collaborated with Bob Kane back in 1939.  
My grandfather has never been properly credited as the co-creator of Batman although was an open secret in the comic book industry and is widely known now.  It is now my time to come out of the shadows and speak up and end 75 years of exploitation of my grandfather, whose biggest flaw was his inability to defend his extraordinary talent.  Due to what I feel is continued mistreatment of a true artist, I am currently exploring our rights and considering how best to establish the recognition that my grandfather deserves.”
In his autobiography, Bob Kane acknowledged, “Now that my long-time friend and collaborator is gone, I must admit that Bill never received the fame and recognition he deserved. He was an unsung hero.” Regarding the issue of giving Finger official credit, Kane specifically said, “I often tell my wife, if I could go back fifteen years, before he died, I’d like to say, ‘I’ll put your name on it now. You deserve it.’
This fall, the Warner Bros. television series GOTHAM will feature many Bill Finger creations, including the city itself. Will the series that carries the name he gave to Batman’s city credit him in any way?
-----

Hear Brian Eno and Karl Hyde peform music from their new LP on BBC Radio 6.

-----

Monty Python is releasing the previously unheard "The Lousy Song," featuring the troupe's late member Graham Chapman. The tune will appear on a reissue of the Monty Python Sings compilation.  Monty Python's Total Rubbish, a box set of the group's complete audio recordings, is due out on CD and vinyl this summer as a tie-in to the reunited Pythons' upcoming live stage gigs in London.



-----

Mojo mag counts down its 50 Weirdest Albums Ever. I only own 15 of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment