Pop Culture Roundup: Stan Lee in Playboy! John Byrne's Fantastic Four! Veronica Mars book!

Turn out you can read it for the articles. Playboy interviews Stan Lee and asks a few tough questions.
“There was never a time when it just said ‘by Stan Lee.’  It was always ‘by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko’ or ‘by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.’  I made sure their names were always as big as mine.  As far as what they were paid, I had nothing to do with that.  They were hired as freelance artists, and they worked as freelance artists.  At some point they apparently felt they should be getting more money.  Fine, it was up to them to talk to the publisher.  It had nothing to do with me.  I would have liked to have gotten more money too.  And twice, not once, I offered a job to Jack Kirby.  I said to him, ‘Jack, why don’t you work for Marvel with me?’  I was the art director at the time.  I said, ‘You be the art director.  I’ll just be the editor and head writer, and you’ll have that security.’ He wouldn’t do it.  He didn’t want a staff job.  With him, as with Ditko, I don’t see where they were unfairly treated.  Jack was a great guy and so is Steve.  I’m sorry anybody feels there’s any acrimony.  I loved them both.”
-----

 Crivens! celebrates John Byrne's magnificent 1980s run on the Fantastic Four with a cover gallery.

-----

First a new movie, then a new novel: The first Veronica Mars book is out in print and in an audio version voiced by VM star Kristen Bell. Check the sample below.


1 comment: