Anthony Horowitz gets official go-ahead to pen Sherlock Holmes novel

The estate of Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle has granted the "Alex Rider" novels permission to write an authorized Holmes book.

I've not read any of Horowitz's other works, but purists online are understandably nervous/upset. Of course, there have been a zillion non-Doyle Holmes books over the years. The character and the concept is quite adaptable. I figure the original is always best, the adaptations range from ok to wretched. So I'm not gonna get worked up about it.

Actually, I think this, presumably unauthorized, one looks fun...



Anyone out there read it? More info on this "Further Adventures" series from Titan Book here.

2 comments:

  1. Why does one need authorization to write a Holmes tale? Isn't the entire original Holmes canon in public domain? There have been literally hundreds of "previously lost" Holmes manuscripts since the bestselling SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION in the early seventies, a large number of them quite well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I wonder the same. I suppose the stamp of Conan Doyle estate is good marketing, but doesn't amount to much more.

    ReplyDelete