DC Comics annuals of the 60s

Back in 1960s, DC regularly put out these thick collections that assembled and reprinted some of the best Golden Age and later stories featuring Superman, Batman and related characters. I missed out on most of them, but have fond memories of the 100-page Spectaculars, etc., that were the 1970s equivalent.

These days, there are tons of reprints of nearly every kind of comic available -- superhero books, indy and art comics, comic strips, manga, etc. -- but I have a fondness for these thick, relatively cheap reprints. I certainly gravitated toward them as a kid. I enjoyed reading old Batman and Superman stories from before I was born and nearly wore out my copies of "Batman from the 30s to the 70s" and "Superman from the 30 to the 70s," which were the DC Showcases of their day.

And what got me started on this whole post? A nice collection of 60s annual covers on display over at Golden Age Comic Book Stories. Here's a sample:

No comments:

Post a Comment