Hold your horses on Beach Boys reunion, says Brian Wilson

Looks like Brian Wilson has forced former bandmate Mike Love to do some backtracking on recent comments about Brian possibly rejoining the boys for a 50th reunion tour. Here's a statement that just went up on Brian's website:

Statement on the Beach Boys 50th Anniversary
As The Beach Boys approach 2011-2012 touring season, which will mark their 50th anniversary as a band, speculation continues to grow among fans and media as to reunion possibilities among all the original surviving members. In response to recent stories Mike Love had the following comments: "The Beach Boys continue to tour approximately 150 shows a year in multiple countries. At this time there are no plans for my cousin Brian to rejoin the tour. He has new solo projects on the horizon and I wish him love and success. We have had some discussions of writing and possibly recording together, but nothing has been planned. I, as I¹m sure he is, am proud and honored that The Beach Boys music has endured these 50 years, but felt the need to clarify that there are no current 'reunion' tour plans."

Personally, I doubt a reconstituted Beach Boys would be any better than seeing Brian live with his excellent touring band. Mike Love's Beach Boys are set to play my town this summer and I have no desire to see them. A Beach Boys without any Wilson brothers or Al Jardine in tow just doesn't seem like the Beach Boys. I've seen Brian live, though, and would jump at the chance to see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment