Fantastic friends: Jack Kirby and Frank Zappa




I'd seen this photo of these two great American artists before, but never really heard any details about this seemingly odd pairing. Now, courtesy of Royal Flush, Ahmet Zappa talks about his old man's friendship with cartoonist exraordinaire, Jack "King" Kirby.

“I loved Spider-man; it’s the jam,” gushed Ahmet. “My dad loved comics and was the first to advertise rock n’ roll in comics, for We’re Only In It For The Money [in Fantastic Four #72, 1968, Natch!]. My mother made Dweezil and I costumes of Spider-Man and The Mighty Thor.”

...“He told my dad stuff like, ‘Darth Vader was Doctor Doom and the Force is the Source’ and that George Lucas ripped him off. Now this you may not know, and I was only a kid, but I remember learning at the dinner table that my dad was asked to write the music for Star Wars; he turned it down, he said he wasn’t interested. That would’ve been really strange, the lives of us Star Wars fans woulda taken a different turn and that whole score woulda sounded like Tatooine Cantina music.”



No comments:

Post a Comment