New comics June 10, 2009

New comics of note this week. Click the links to order discounted books from Amazon.


BATMAN #687
RED ROBIN #1
Two more post-Bruce Wayne Batman titles (Dick Grayson is now Batman, Bruce Wayne is missing/dead--there, I just saved you a few hundred bucks in back issues). Neither of these interest me as much as last week's Grant Morrison-penned Batman and Robin, which was quite fun, and Paul Dini's upcoming Batman: Streets of Gotham, which seems like it may be worthwhile as well. I'll probably keep my buying to just those two, skipping the Batwoman-helmed Detective Comics and a Dini-scripted Gotham Sirens. Let's face it, the Batman Family is too big.


BILLY BATSON AND THE MAGIC OF SHAZAM #5 I loved the first four Mike Kunkel-written/drawn issues of this kid-oriented title. This ish sees scripters Art Baltazar and Franco and artists Byron Vaughn and Ken Branch helping out. The plan, I guess, is to have this team alternate with Kunkel in order to get the book on a monthly schedule.


SHOWCASE PRESENTS GREEN LANTERN VOL. 4 More budget-priced Silver Age stuff. Includes Green Lantern #60-75.


SUPER FRIENDS #16 My daughter's favorite comic. It's good stuff!


JSA SERIES 1 ACTION FIGURES
FLASH
GREEN LANTERN
SANDMAN
STARMAN
Based on Alex Ross art. Not really my thing.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #597 I'm already two weeks behind on this story line, which, unfortunately, looks to be somehow related with Marvel's latest crossover buyer-manipulation project, Dark Reign. What's say we prohibit comics publishers from further crossovers? Maybe the economic downturn will be a good corrective to such things.


ESSENTIAL THOR VOL. 4 Thor moves from the Kirby- into the Buscema era with Neal Adams helping out in between. Collects Thor #167-195.


EXCALIBUR VISIONARIES ALAN DAVIS VOL. 1 I was never a big fan of Excalibur or the writing on this title, but the art was something to behold. Davis is one of the modern greats of superhero comics. Collects Excalibur #42-50.

THOR TALES OF ASGARD BY LEE & KIRBY #2 Reprinting Lee/Kirby's work on this Thor backup feature.

MUPPET SHOW #2
TOY STORY MYSTERIOUS STRANGER #1
Two new kid-oriented comics from Boom Studios. Good stuff.

SHERLOCK HOLMES #2 The first issue of this never made it to my comic shop. Was it any good?


ART OF HARVEY KURTZMAN: THE MAD GENIUS OF COMICS A coffee table tome written by Denis Kitchen. I don't see how this could be anything less than mandatory.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying your blog daily, thanks. Sherlock Holmes #1 was interesting. I'm really on the bubble about it. Love the character, and this is pretty standard fare, though the ending of #1 was a bit of a surprise. I was underwhelmed by the script by Alan Moore's daughter and colleague. Felt like it was trying just a bit too hard. But I'll probably pick #2 up to see if I'll stick with it.

    ReplyDelete