All I had to do was complain! I mean, after all, it's ridiculous that one of this nation's most controversial, influential TV programs isn't available on DVD when the likes of "Diff'rent Strokes" or "The Facts of Life" are readily available.
But now, the "Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" is finally on the way. Looks like it's gonna be one of those expensive Time-Life deals, though. Like "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." and "Get Smart," it'll be available at first only via this outlet and, presumably, later via general (discounted) release. After years as an expensive Time-Life "complete series" set, "Get Smart" is finally coming out in cheaper season sets from other outlets soon.
At any rate, with the Smothers Brothers, Time-Life is starting out with the controversial third season first, with a 5-disk best-of collection. According to Time-Life, it'll include:
* FIVE HOURS of bonus material including never-before-seen unedited content, exclusive interviews, and audio perspectives
* Features groundbreaking comedy by Steve Martin, George Carlin, Bob Newhart, David Steinberg and many others
* On camera introductions by Tom & Dick to EVERY episode
* Behind the scenes and rehearsal footage
* Classic performances by The Doors, Ray Charles, Donovan, Ike & Tina Turner and many others!
* PLUS the award-winning "Pat Paulsen for President" special, including newly uncovered, never-before-seen outtakes with Senator Robert F. Kennedy