Pop links

Deal alert: Amazon is offering 50 percent off selected TV on DVD sets, including "Firefly," "The Simpsons," "Arrested Development" and more.

--------

Hey, Rick over at the cool, very specialized Comic Book Letterhead Museum needs letter column artwork for Marvel's Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos. If you have a scan, please send it his way.

(I have to admit that I'm a little annoyed at Rick, as I'd been planning to do a big post, or series of posts, spotlighting letter column art from various comics. But his blog beat me to the punch. On the bright side, it has saved me a lot of time and work...)

---------

If I'm ever in Emeryville, Calif., I need to go to this store.

Photobucket

--------

Finalists for The New Yorker's caption-a-cartoon contest are in, and they didn't pick my idea, which played off the Jack Kirby roots of Harry Bliss' drawing.

Photobucket

That's not too surprising. And neither is the fact that none of the entries they did choose are funny. That's usually the case with this contest: Entrants tend to go with obvious descriptions of what's going on in the pictures instead letting their imaginations roam. But, if the results fail to amuse, they sure provide renewed appreciation for how difficult cartooning is.

I posted a second Marvel Comics-themed idea here.

-------

This cracks me up.

Photobucket Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment