"Heroes" and my brief career as a Hollywood "consultant"

"Heroes," a new series about non-costumed super-powered folk, debuts tonight on NBC and I'll be watching--not so much because I'm excited about it, but out of curiosity.

You see, a while back, someone from the show called me up asking for a bit of help.

It seems a script for the show (I don't know if it's the one for tonight or sometime later in the season) makes reference to the Merry Marvel Marching Society (MMMS), the 1960s fan club created by the publishers of Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the Hulk and the like.

From what I understand, someone on the show finds the body of a man carrying an MMMS membership card. But the art director folks for the show didn't have a card, or reference for what one might look for.

Googling around, they found the Mighty Marvelmania Museum section of this site. Basically, this is a page where I keep various images of 1960s and 1970s Marvel memorabilia I've spotted on eBay auctions and elsewhere. Although not posted there at the moment, I have a number of scans depicting MMMS membership cards, the MMMS logo, etc., and I was happy to send those along to "Heroes."

So I'll be watching the show to see when this particular plotline pops up. I don't suppose I'll get any credit (and it was really no big effort on my part to help) and I never got a reply saying thanks for my efforts, but I'm curious.

Any show that makes reference to the MMMS by name can't be all bad. Comics writer Jeph Loeb is a writer/co-executive producer for the show, so maybe that's where this is coming from.

At first glance, the show looks a bit like an X-Men knock-off and, in my experience, live-action supershows seldom fare well. But we'll see.

For more info on "Heroes," see the show's official site and an already up-and-running fansite.

No comments:

Post a Comment